Tips for Container Gardening
Container gardening is fun and easy…let your creative talents flow! First choose a container – it can be plastic, ceramic, terra cotta – even an old hat or boot will do! Let your imagination soar as you think of your color scheme and where your pot will be placed (sun or shade). Tropicals like cannas, elephant ears and even hibiscus or lantana trees can be combined with annuals for a beautiful and unique look! LAKE KOUNTRY, INC. carries a full selection of tropicals – plus many of your newly planted containers can be easily brought in for the winter months!
WATER PLANTS also make a wonderful container garden! LAKE KOUNTRY, INC. carries a complete selection of water plants – you simply need to choose a container that will hold water!
PLANTING A LOW MAINTENANCE POT/CONTAINER/CEMETARY URN
– Choose annuals that are heat and drought resistant (see list below). Many different combinations are possible, but most people like to choose plants from all 3 categories.
– Ensure that the container is large enough to accommodate the plants that you’re choosing. Don’t overcrowd the plants as they need room to grow in order to thrive.
– Placing a coffee filter over the drainage hole on the bottom of the pot helps to keep moisture in the container longer. It also works well to add mulch in the bottom of larger containers before the soil is added to decrease the weight of the pot, especially if the container is to be placed in an urn stand.
– Use a soil mixture that increases the soil’s ability to hold water and nutrients. Moisture control soil is ideal, or regular potting soil with a moisture retention product such as Soil Moist added works well. Soil Moist mats are also available. The potting soil mixture should also contain a slow release fertilizer.
– Place a layer of mulch on the top of the pot to help maintain soil moisture. Don’t fill the container all the way to the top; leaving 1-2 inches will avoid accidental water run-off from a quick rain or hand water.
– Even though plants might be heat and drought resistant, a consistent watering program is still necessary. Containers should be slowly and thoroughly watered.
TRAILING PLANTS FILLERS/FOLIAGE FLOWERING VARIETIES
Vinca Vine Dracena (Green Spike) Geraniums Petunias
Licorice Plant Cortyline (Burgundy Spike) Marigolds Verbena
Sweet Potato Vine Ornamental Grasses Angelonia Zinnia
Moss Roses Asparagus Fern Bidens Vinca
Wave Petunias Coleus for Sun Lantana Ageratum
Ivy Geraniums Dusty Miller Fibrous Begonias
After your new container is planted, you may want to add a final touch. LAKE KOUNTRY, INC.’s GIFT/GARDEN CENTER is brimming with beautiful garden stakes and accent pieces to give your work of art a truly personalized touch! Stop out today…we’re anxious to help you create an amazing “living work of art”!
LAKE KOUNTRY, INC. offers CEMETARY URN SERVICES to all local cemetaries in New Richmond, WI, Somerset, WI, Osceola, WI and Amery, WI as well as other surrounding areas. We plant and deliver the urn before Memorial Day, then pick up the urn and store it in the fall. Contact us for further details.
LAKE KOUNTRY INC., HAS A COMPLETE NURSERY/GARDEN CENTER LOCATED JUST MINUTES FROM NEW RICHMOND, WI , AMERY, WI , SOMERSET, WI , OSCEOLA, WI AND ALL OF WESTERN WI. WE CARRY A FULL SELECTION OF ANNUALS, PERENNIALS, SHRUBS, TREES, WATER PLANTS, TROPICALS!